Phase III door project
Still not done but I did sand the blue side today.
I also worked on the stained side and got rid of one, slurry like layer. A part of me wish the entire door was nice enough to just get a new coat of stain but oh well.
I have a 1x4x6 pine board that I’ll paint to match the current wall color and then I can probably start mounting the hardware soon.
My door to the backyard is almost closer to being done. As you can see, I had a double cylinder before and now a single cylinder with a thumb turn. 🙂
I got this today – used the impact driver and OMG where the hell have I been? Why haven’t I gotten an impact driver before?!!
1965 Mid-century Millcreek Home | Architect: Ed Dreier | Renovated 1991 | Salt Lake City, Utah
Love that ceiling texture. Makes me want to forgo scraping my vaulted ceiling and just do something like this.
Phase II of Office Door
Today was the 2nd round of paint stripping and I managed to get rid of over 90% of the door and I’d say about 80% of the window area.
Next step will be some sanding on both sides before primer and then finally will be the main paint color.
Slowly but surely.
Birds need modern love too.
I think this is pretty cool.
Phase I of Office Barn Door – complete
Remember my purchase a couple months ago? I bought the barndoor hardware this weekend at Callahan’s Hardware – less than $100 (for a 6’ track) plus a can of spray paint to make the color look more uniform.
Started to strip the blue paint today, but I’m not done though. 😦 As you can see from the progression of photos, there was another layer. DOH! (insert long strings of expletives here)
I got most of the blue off and it confirmed that the wood that I’m seeing isn’t really worth refinishing to the point of staining. SO the original plan of painting it in Benjamin Moore’s Wrought Iron stands.
Next week I hope to finish that side and start filling the nail/screw holes so it can be painted after.
I’ll put another 2 or 3 coats of Satin Nickel on the barndoor hardware and then it’ll be close to install.
The brass door hardware has been removed so I can clean it. I just need to research a chemical free way of cleaning that.
Saw a similar version of this door yesterday when I picked up my door hardware. The glass inserts were privacy glass and there was no sidelite so it didn’t look so squatty.
Given my interior door style, I think this would complement everything. They did suggest that I wait to get the new handleset and just put it in the new door so it’ll be down the line, I suppose.
Coat Closet Door Woes
I decided for the coat closet to do a ball catch/dummy lock instead of the standard door handle (so you just pull to open instead of turning the knob or (in my case) a lever. So I ordered it and when it arrived, I noticed it was supposed to be attached on the door surface (no hole is needed) but that wouldn’t work with my door because it was pre-bored.
So, I called Emtek and they sent me a pre-bored door kit. The only problem, the shape wouldn’t allow my square rosette to fit.
I took it to a local Emtek dealer and they used a grinder so it fits now. They also fixed the threads on one of the screws so I could secure it.
Picked it up yesterday and installed it last night. Now the door looks very nice. 🙂
I just need to pick up some powertools and then redo that trim with MDF instead of pine or whatever they gave me.