Phase 1 of my Master Bath Door
The door is no longer two toned! Please excuse the splotchy look – paint’s still drying but it now has 1 coat of Benjamin Moore’s Rock Gray. It’ll probably take a couple more coats but I’m in no rush. I don’t even have the barndoor hardware yet. 🙂
Color inspiration –
This is the basic color palette I want for the exterior. The only difference is the front door will be a rich red and the shade of green might be different.
Repainted this today from Oil Rubbed Bronze to Dark Steel. I like the look of it even more now.
Office Door Project – Finale
This week has been a whirlwind for this project. As I got the header board installed, I realized, I *should* be adding the new trim now versus later. The original intent was to also replace the jamb with a smooth one but more on that in a bit.
I decided to go for a simple, non-mitered look and because the install to my new doors were messed up, I’m going to replace them all eventually. They gave me unprimed 1x3s which soaked up tons of paint and the edges were not rounded – it just didn’t feel right. I ended up finding some rounded, MDF 1x3s for the vertical pieces and rather trash the new stuff, I’m going to be using that for the top since it has a crisper, sharper edge.
So I painted them in Benjamin Moore’s Chantilly Lace (my new trim color since Super White was *too* bright).
The door jamb was hard to remove since I don’t have a reciprocating saw so I opted to fill it in and will smooth it out and paint once I’m ready to. As you can see, the old trim paint has yellowed a bit too.
Next, I reinstalled the original door hardware and while it isn’t my normal preference for stainless steel, I opted to keep it since this is an old door. It just would have felt wrong to replace it with something new.
The initial test run of having the door (sans glass pane) showed an error on my part. I really should have used a 2×4 instead of 1×4 as the header board. The bolts ended up hitting the new door trim so I had to shim it and originally bought some wood plinths but they didn’t work. I ended up using some scrap wood (painted to match the door) and then just shimming the top 2 bolts leaving the bottom open.
Finally, it rolled smoothly and it was time to get the glass cleaned. It still isn’t 100% clean but it is now installed.
Lessons learned – a) Use a 2×4 for the header. b) trim out the door first. c) take my time and don’t try to push it to be done in one day. It was tedious work but so worth it at the end.
Wood boring bits! I swear, half the time I go to a home improvement store to look for something, I have no freaking clue what it’s called.
I wonder if the folks who work there look at me funny.
Yes, I am the one who tries to describe stuff through mime sometimes.
Slowly but surely…
The header board is up! Originally I was going to use wood screws to secure but the screws were crap. I anchored the board instead – using my favorite E-Z Ancors. Then I filled the holes in since they were counter sunk and repainted.
Tonight I also cleaned the hardware using warm water, salt and vinegar. They aren’t all brass as I thought but more copper. I also removed the paint on the mortise piece.
Once I figure out what size bit I’ll need (because 1/4” won’t be enough I think), I’ll be installing the box rail.
The little things that make me happy.
They’re getting rid of these at work and was in a recycling area.
First thought was they were perfect trays for when I use my sponge rollers.
This color is awesome! Darker than the satin nickel and matches better than the oil rubbed bronze.
Door is inside the house!
I’ll be painting the final coats inside. The wall is pretty much prepped now.
I’m mounting the header board today.
I got the first coat of Wrought Iron on the office door. I’ll do the other side tomorrow and then one more coat next weekend before it is installed! 🙂