Office Door Project – Finale
This week has been a whirlwind for this project. As I got the header board installed, I realized, I *should* be adding the new trim now versus later. The original intent was to also replace the jamb with a smooth one but more on that in a bit.
I decided to go for a simple, non-mitered look and because the install to my new doors were messed up, I’m going to replace them all eventually. They gave me unprimed 1x3s which soaked up tons of paint and the edges were not rounded – it just didn’t feel right. I ended up finding some rounded, MDF 1x3s for the vertical pieces and rather trash the new stuff, I’m going to be using that for the top since it has a crisper, sharper edge.
So I painted them in Benjamin Moore’s Chantilly Lace (my new trim color since Super White was *too* bright).
The door jamb was hard to remove since I don’t have a reciprocating saw so I opted to fill it in and will smooth it out and paint once I’m ready to. As you can see, the old trim paint has yellowed a bit too.
Next, I reinstalled the original door hardware and while it isn’t my normal preference for stainless steel, I opted to keep it since this is an old door. It just would have felt wrong to replace it with something new.
The initial test run of having the door (sans glass pane) showed an error on my part. I really should have used a 2×4 instead of 1×4 as the header board. The bolts ended up hitting the new door trim so I had to shim it and originally bought some wood plinths but they didn’t work. I ended up using some scrap wood (painted to match the door) and then just shimming the top 2 bolts leaving the bottom open.
Finally, it rolled smoothly and it was time to get the glass cleaned. It still isn’t 100% clean but it is now installed.
Lessons learned – a) Use a 2×4 for the header. b) trim out the door first. c) take my time and don’t try to push it to be done in one day. It was tedious work but so worth it at the end.