The first thing I did was remove the mantle. The wood screws in my hand were HUGE but there were also some bolts attached to the piece of wood that held the mantle. I was happy that I didn’t need to cut through them in order to remove.
Next, I took my wood chisel (I need an actual pry bar) and carefully pried the tile off. (It’s black slate that I’ll be taking to the Habitat Re-Store sometime in the next week or two) I managed to only break 3 tiles but chipped a few.
Oh, as I pried off the tiles, I kept spraying with bug spray. There were some creepy crawlies so I made sure I took care of them.
I don’t know if you could see, I tore off some of the cement backer board or its equivalent. So it was off to Lowes I for a sheet.
I had to stop midway through attaching the backerboard. I was getting tired and hungry. I’ll use the rest of the board to attach so that I can minimize the joint compound I’ll be using to smooth out the wall.