My Newly Revamped Credenza (edited)

Other than the knobs, which are in the mail, the credenza is now complete.

Here’s a quick recap.

Before –

20131102-180205.jpg

I took apart the pieces and cleaned them before spray painting the metal frame with Krylon Chrome paint (I found it at a crafts store).  I thought I could use a spray lacquer but that turned out to be a waste a money so I stuck with Benjamin Moore’s White Heron in High Gloss.

I also drilled holes on the back for ventilation.

Then, once that was complete, I used my Benjamin Moore (leftover) Turquoise Powder paint and turned it into Chalk Paint.

20131112-203526.jpg

The formica top was peeling apart so I had decided, early on, to use some of my leftover zinc sheet from my fireplace project. The only thing I should have done was add more contact cement. There is an air gap right now but since it isn’t a serving table, I will live with the flub. I spent the week shaping the metal onto the table top with my trusty mallet. I hadn’t intended to use nails on the sides but I needed to secure the sheet down (thanks Pat!).

I was doing fine with my hammer until near the end and now have a nasty blood blister on my thumb. 😦 BUT, I got it done.

IMG_2098

The next morning was spent soldering. Never done it before and didn’t use enough flux a few times so the melted metal just fell off.

IMG_2102

After that was done, I sanded it out so most of the rough edges were gone and blended into the table.

For the doors, I cut down the double doors and originally wanted to use a .25″ lexan but busted it while using a circular saw (another lesson learned). I can still salvage a good chunk of it for a future project though. I ended up buying a piece of acrylic (plexiglass) that was cut to size. I originally wanted to use perforated sheet metal or even cut out the center of the doors (before they were cut down) but ended up finding a cool stencil and used the White Heron as the stencil paint. For the doors, I used satin Super White so there’s a tone on tone effect.

So here’s the after!

IMG_2108 IMG_2110

I didn’t get a good seal on the stencil for the acrylic and spent last night and today scraping the design back. I also added a little Looking Glass spray paint to give a silvery, mercury glass effect.

UPDATE – knobs are on!

20131118-173826.jpg

20131118-173839.jpg

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s