Flooring and Other Stuff

My goal was to finish my flooring before the end of New Year’s Day. I finished my living room and dining room last night. 🙂

IMG_2310 After cleaning off the access glue, I ripped out the last of the big pieces of moulding and then marked up my lines for glue. I had about 54 inches remaining.

About 2 hours later and feeding time for the kitties, I took a break and figured I’d finish up the next day – about 24 inches left.

IMG_2311

 

An hour or so later, I decided to get back into my working clothes and finish it up. I really didn’t want to work on it anymore so I sucked it up and plowed through. Believe me, at this point, my arms were aching and my knees were cursing me like crazy.

The last row was probably the hardest. My non-square house really showed its colors when every section I had to rip, I had to increase by a minimum of 1/8 inch. But, the biggest thing was it was done.

IMG_2314 Floyd had to inspect my work.

Today, I added a couple little things to make that wall look better. I got some moulding – I took whatever was precut since I was too tired to work a hand saw. One piece fit that wall perfectly.

I also bought a piece of perforated metal to fashion a cold air return. The problem with mine is it isn’t affixed properly and as I removed to paint a few times, there was no longer any drywall to screw the vent cover into.

IMG_2322

Originally before I became more creative, I had wanted to buy one but they’re crazy expensive. Then I found this earlier this year and was inspired. So inspired that I bought the same cloverleaf sheet. Because I am a fan of geometric patterns.

IMG_2315

 

For the frame, I used some of the pieces I bought earlier this year for future door casings. I thought it would add some cohesion to the house by using the same materials. After dry fitting it, I primed the metal for paint and then cut to size. I used my staple gun to attach the sides together and did a block cut versus miter cuts so they would (again) match what the millwork around the doors.

I used my paint sprayer on the pieces and a couple hours later, it was dry enough to work on.

First I attached the moulding and then it was time to put the new register up. (nail gun is a lifesaver!)  Before I did, I added a mesh screen (used for windows and screen doors) behind the metal grate. Not really as a dust filter, but more to keep any large critters out. I wish they sold the mesh by the foot or yard because I had to buy the smallest roll available.

IMG_2324

 

To keep the spacing consistent, I have been using popsicle (from the craft store) sticks as “spacers”. The register is fully attached and caulked onto the wall. There is no filter to it – the filter is in the HVAC accessed in my garage.

IMG_2325

This pic was before I caulked around the edges to give more of a seamless look. It looks really good with the new baseboard too.

 

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Flooring and Other Stuff

    • Thank you! At one point, it seemed I wasn’t going to get it done in the time I allotted myself. I’m hoping the rest of the house won’t be as troublesome as this big room. I’ll be using a different glue too. 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s