I worked on the mantle this weekend and completed it!
Once again, the before pic –
Then I revamped the fireplace itself last year and this was what I saw for most of the year.
It wasn’t until a couple weeks ago that I added the beginning of the mantle.
Going into the weekend, I still wasn’t sure what I’d come up with and to be honest, I wasn’t sure if I was going to build it out. I went to a local store that specialize in being green. They had a few pieces of 1×6 reclaimed, vintage boards for sale. I grabbed a piece along with a 2×4 piece (for some, undetermined future project) and took them home.
I sanded down the rough spots and then built out a “frame” for the mantle.
Puck also decided to help out by testing the weight limit.
I could have left it at that and waited until next time to finish but I was so close! I went back and bought another 1×6 piece and put it together.
I added vinegar-steel wool solution to the wood to age it more. I also added some nails up top to some of the existing nail holes.
To age the nails, I used a copper sulfate solution (the stuff I used to give the zinc patina). I also used an oil stain instead of polyurethane to protect the wood.
Some of the lag screws were purely decoration but there were a few that supported the façade. I also built out a small “channel” if I ever decided to hang stuff. (It’s also a good place to stow a fireplace lighter as well.)