I began adding to my existing pipe shelves this weekend.
On Saturday, I bought some 1×12 boards that were reclaimed. The owner of the shop said it came from a restaurant built around the 1930s and then was torn down. Each of the pieces had small tacks all over (not sure exactly what it was for since they only went in about a half inch or so.)
One of the boards still had some paper glued onto it. I managed to save some of it :).
The first thing I did was use that greyish paint that I painted the Ikea shelves with and diluted it with water (about a 50-50 mixture). Then I randomly brushed it over the wood. Once it was dry, I sanded it smooth (it took some of the “whitewash” off but not all of it which was what I wanted). The next thing I did was use the steel wool and vinegar solution to age the boards a little more.
I used the same oil sealer product that I used on the mantle which darkened it a little but also picked up on the grey colors too.
I connected the pipes and attached some flanges to the wall (I had to find big head screws so it wouldn’t go through the flange holes so I ended up with anchor screws rated for 102 lbs).
I didn’t buy enough of the 8 inch pipes otherwise I would have added a third tier.
I could do the same thing (only slightly narrower) on the other side and if I really wanted to, I could connect it across the TV. I’m not sure that will happen though Floyd and Puck might try to convince me.
A note about reclaimed wood – it is really cool to use but it is spendier than the brand new stuff from the hardware store. Instead of smashing walls down, it has to be taken down with care so it can be reused. I love the idea of using reclaimed wood because there is so character in the piece – character and history – I’m a sucker for that. 🙂