The Tanker Desk Formerly (?) Known as Lola – Phase 1

I managed to work on the tanker desk this holiday week. (I don’t think the name, Lola will stick so she is once again, nameless.)

The first thing I did was remove the drawers.

IMG_3545 IMG_3546

Instead of working on the entire thing at once, I decided to start with the pencil drawer. I cleaned and took a wire brush to some of the rust spots before priming it.

IMG_3548

Next I used a spray paint I found at one of the big box stores – Flat Soft Iron. I had wanted to go the auto paint route but it would have been way too pricey and time consuming for me. If this didn’t work though, I would have.

IMG_3556 IMG_3555

This is the color after bringing it inside. (Floyd had to inspect the finished product in the first picture.) I did take a small brush and fixed the area around the lock.

The legs were next and they were a little rusty but still in good condition. The chromed legs were dirty but undamaged. I only worked on one so far and after cleaning, grinding, and priming, I got a coat of Brilliant Silver on (to see how it looked before I tackled the other).

IMG_3549  IMG_3558

The hardest thing so far was removing the pedestals from the table top. The bolts had rusted out and I wasn’t sure I could remove a couple of them without drilling through. It was a no go so I went to see if I could buy replacements for them and luckily, I was able to find them. So I spent a couple hours drilling through the rusted bolts alternating with my little propane torch (the kind used for créme brûlée).

The end result?

IMG_3577

 

A view of the new color next to the old:

IMG_3576

I haven’t figured out how to remove the file drawer yet. I also haven’t decided what to do with the linoleum (formica?) top.

 

 

 

Advertisements

Another Phase of my Office is Complete

I now have wood floors in my office!

I began the project on Thanksgiving Day and managed to get about 7 rows in before breaking for dinner.

IMG_3498IMG_3501

The next morning, I was on a roll and managed to complete over 2/3 of the room before I ran out of glue.

IMG_3504 IMG_3505

I was scraping off the bottom of the can but it wasn’t enough to finish the rest of the room. Being that it was Black Friday, I was not about to go and venture out just for a can of glue so I decided to wait until the week after to complete. I did bring my area rug out to see how it would turn out though.

IMG_3508

I also received a few more sunburst mirrors to add to the decor of the room. 🙂

IMG_3507 IMG_3506

 

Back to the glue – I debated for a while on whether or not to use the same Bostik glue as the rest of the room. It only comes in a 3.5 gallon container and is $160 at Lowes so I was hesitant at first. I was close to buying a different glue but remembered my glue fiasco in the living-dining room last year and opted for the same can (which will prompt me to add flooring to my master closet soon).

This past Friday, I finished and it took about 2 hours.

IMG_3516

After removing the tape and moving some items back (with Puck as my model).

IMG_3520

Given the look of the room, I’m once again debating the color of Lola. It would seem a bright color would be too much for the small room so I’m thinking of something understated. Stay tuned.