Master Bedroom Ceiling Fan (bling!)

I revamped my ceiling fan today.

The before and the project:

IMG_2230

Since I couldn’t put a chandelier up there (because I didn’t want to give up a ceiling fan), I had been looking off and on for different ways to dress up the fruit bowl. I finally found a site that used crystal garland to dress up their light fixture.

So, I went to Michaels with a 20% off everything coupon and bought some ‘crystal’ garlands. A couple strands of clear along with a couple strands of the lavender.

IMG_3916

Then I just randomly added pieces of it; weaving it through the holes.

IMG_3917 IMG_3918

A couple hours later:

IMG_3919 IMG_3920

On the ceiling fan—it doesn’t look like an upside down fruit bowl anymore!

IMG_3921 IMG_3922

In the second picture, the lavender beads are a little more visible.

There is still room to add more if I need to but for the most part, it is done.

Advertisements

Cat Tree Revamp

A couple years ago, I created my juniper cat trees for Floyd and Puck.

It was probably a couple months ago that I realized the cheap carpet I used for the bases was starting to fray and then holes started to appear.

Since Floyd’s birthday was coming up (March 17th) and followed by Puck (April 6), it was a good time to start planning for an early present.

Over the weekend, I found a couple rugs that were on sale—both for the base and some of the platforms.

So on Sunday, I disassembled the branches off the big tree and removed a cross branch from the smaller one. Then I began working on the base. I didn’t remove the old carpet but threw the new one on top and screwed it down instead of using staples like before.

  IMG_3786

My goal was to finish by evening but my first attempt was a fail since the configuration left no room for adding platforms.

I quickly added one platform to it before I called it quits.

After dinner on Monday, I worked on re-covering some platforms with the green stripe carpet.

Since there were some exposed screws from attaching the platforms (and one lag bolt had sheared off), I used corks to cover them.

 

Of course, it makes no difference if I ended up liking the final product. My two critics/mini jungle cats had to love it and use it.