Box Spring Cover

 

I ordered a bed last week and thought about some sort of mattress cover or something to hide the box spring.

 

I had used a dust ruffle for a while even though it didn’t really work with my last bed (sleigh style). The new bed was a panel bed which wouldn’t accommodate a dust ruffle either. Plus, with two cats, it got dirty QUICK.

I tried using a sheet and tucking the ends under but it never looked neat.

Searching the internet, I found that there were covers specifically made for box springs but they were a bit spendy and looked boring.

Of course then I looked at DIY sites for ideas. I found one that seemed interesting —using fabric, a staple gun, and some product to adhere to the top of the box spring.

So I went to one fabric store and found this in the home fabric section. I bought 2.5 yards just to be safe.

IMG_4290

I cut out the fabric wide enough to cover the sides and at first, tried to use stitch tape for the top of the box spring. Big mistake because I sort of burned a couple holes from the iron. Since I didn’t have any fabric glue, I ended up using my trusty hot glue gun instead and first covered the corners before covering the sides.

What I forgot to do was post a before pic of the box spring but the pic below sort of works.

IMG_4293

 

I did pay a price on the heat gun and that was the form of some nasty blisters. 😦 I was icing my fingers when I took the pic.

IMG_4294

 

But it looked good once it was done and that was the important thing.

IMG_4291

And when it peeks out from the bed:

IMG_4320 Not a bad color match :).

 

Oh and here’s the new bed since the other bed was used as a makeshift climber for the cats.

IMG_4319

Advertisements

New Front Door 

 

 

 

 

I finally decided on a front door today. I had been looking off and on for a long time since I wanted something a little modern and different from the front door I have right now.

IMG_4026

 

The new door had to have some windows and I had thought these would look nice. The problem with the first door was the fact that it had large pieces of glass and I didn’t think I would feel secure. The vertical one was cool but I didn’t think it worked with my house.

IMG_3985 IMG_3984

I thought the idea of having horizontal slats would be the best but narrower.

The first thing I had to do though was figure out the direction my door was facing for feng shui purposes. I don’t necessarily follow it but figured it never hurts to have good ju-ju. 🙂 I got a compass and it showed that my door faced North. My original idea of having a red door wasn’t going to work and I was a little bummed out. (Always wanted a red door but it was not meant to be) A blue or black door, however, would work.

IMG_4028

So today, I put in an order for this door (probably this very model which is a mahogany with an ebony finish) and this handleset – Emtek’s Davos in a satin nickel. I originally thought a flat black finish would look amazing but wasn’t sure how the Texas weather would treat the flat black in 5-10 years. The inside lever would be the same as my existing ones (Stuttgart).

They’ll be at the house to measure and tally up the cost (eeks!).

 

IMG_4030 IMG_4031