It had been over a year since I got the tanker desk and I did start working on a few pieces. Unfortunately, the project was just too big and too time consuming for me.
In order for this to have been successful, I seriously needed body shop equipment to take out the rust and the dings on this thing. Then when it came time to paint, a simple coat of spray primer and Rustoleum paint wasn’t going to cut it. I was quoted about $500 for powder coating which was one option. The other was to take it to get it painted but the shop never got back to me.
It wasn’t an easy decision to give up on the project because I had already put some time and effort in disassembling. I had even started working on a couple of the drawers. As much as I wanted to continue, I also had to realize how big the desk was for my office and once it was reassembled, it wasn’t going to be moved.
It’s now out in the curb. Sadly, this desk is most likely going to end up as scrap but there is always an off chance that someone will drive by, see it, and decide they want to make this into their pet project.