New Door!

Today I got my front door installed!

Goodbye, 6-panel steel door:

IMG_4026

And HELLO to my new, more modern door:

IMG_4426 IMG_4427

I had the installer remove my old trim since it would need to be replaced.  I had originally planned to buy the trim and had it ready and painted by install day but, things were too busy so I bought them that morning and didn’t install it until in the afternoon.

IMG_4430

View of the door hardware:

IMG_4429

Right now, the orange really clashes with the door. 😦 I have plans already to get the exterior done and will finalize the colors later in the month. (THEN I’ll post a pic of the door from outside)

Moulding

 

 

I started to finish up on my moulding a couple weekends ago.

This was the cache in my car. It’s amazing how much my little Prius holds.

20140323-141904.jpg

 

 

 

My first coped corner. Coping is hard (yes, it’s okay to insert jokes here, I did). This was prior to actually sanding and touch up paint.

20140323-141932.jpg

 

Slowly but surely, the colonial style moulding is going away, replaced with a simpler design. (This is also prior to paint)

20140323-142001.jpg

 

Anything that’s staying, is going to get a fresh coat of paint so it isn’t as dingy looking as before. (and it won’t be the gloss/semi-gloss sheen either)

20140323-142008.jpg

 

I still need to touch up the walls since the trim paint has bled over but that’s okay. The large pieces of baseboards are in for both the living and dining room. I just need to replace the colonial trim put up before finishing. 🙂

Reworking the Office

I started on the office this weekend.

One of the things I had to do before painting was adding another 1×6 header to the sliding rail for the door. When I installed it earlier this year, I didn’t take into consideration that the door would hang at an angle and hit the trim every time I slid the door. Needless to say, I had the door opened most of the time.

I also painted the trim from Super White to Chantilly Lace since that color will go throughout the house.

So after adding the new wood piece, I thought I’d keep some of the turquoise. You might be able to see the pencil line I drew out. IMG_1478

 

It didn’t work so I quickly decided to use Lemon Ice through the entire office, leaving just the stenciled wall in turquoise.

IMG_1483 IMG_1484

What a difference.

It’s not all done. I’ll finish it out next weekend but I did get the door back up and it works! It hangs straight and doesn’t hit the trim now!

IMG_1486 IMG_1487 IMG_1485

See, not done yet but getting there. The room is definitely brighter. You can also tell that it isn’t bright white. 🙂

 

Office Door Recap

Office Door Project – Finale

This week has been a whirlwind for this project. As I got the header board installed, I realized, I *should* be adding the new trim now versus later. The original intent was to also replace the jamb with a smooth one but more on that in a bit.

I decided to go for a simple, non-mitered look and because the install to my new doors were messed up, I’m going to replace them all eventually. They gave me unprimed 1x3s which soaked up tons of paint and the edges were not rounded – it just didn’t feel right. I ended up finding some rounded, MDF 1x3s for the vertical pieces and rather trash the new stuff, I’m going to be using that for the top since it has a crisper, sharper edge. 

So I painted them in Benjamin Moore’s Chantilly Lace (my new trim color since Super White was *too* bright). 

The door jamb was hard to remove since I don’t have a reciprocating saw so I opted to fill it in and will smooth it out and paint once I’m ready to. As you can see, the old trim paint has yellowed a bit too.

Next, I reinstalled the original door hardware and while it isn’t my normal preference for stainless steel, I opted to keep it since this is an old door. It just would have felt wrong to replace it with something new. 

The initial test run of having the door (sans glass pane) showed an error on my part. I really should have used a 2×4 instead of 1×4 as the header board. The bolts ended up hitting the new door trim so I had to shim it and originally bought some wood plinths but they didn’t work. I ended up using some scrap wood (painted to match the door) and then just shimming the top 2 bolts leaving the bottom open. 

Finally, it rolled smoothly and it was time to get the glass cleaned. It still isn’t 100% clean but it is now installed. 

Lessons learned – a) Use a 2×4 for the header. b) trim out the door first. c) take my time and don’t try to push it to be done in one day. It was tedious work but so worth it at the end.