Office Door Recap

Office Door Project – Finale

This week has been a whirlwind for this project. As I got the header board installed, I realized, I *should* be adding the new trim now versus later. The original intent was to also replace the jamb with a smooth one but more on that in a bit.

I decided to go for a simple, non-mitered look and because the install to my new doors were messed up, I’m going to replace them all eventually. They gave me unprimed 1x3s which soaked up tons of paint and the edges were not rounded – it just didn’t feel right. I ended up finding some rounded, MDF 1x3s for the vertical pieces and rather trash the new stuff, I’m going to be using that for the top since it has a crisper, sharper edge. 

So I painted them in Benjamin Moore’s Chantilly Lace (my new trim color since Super White was *too* bright). 

The door jamb was hard to remove since I don’t have a reciprocating saw so I opted to fill it in and will smooth it out and paint once I’m ready to. As you can see, the old trim paint has yellowed a bit too.

Next, I reinstalled the original door hardware and while it isn’t my normal preference for stainless steel, I opted to keep it since this is an old door. It just would have felt wrong to replace it with something new. 

The initial test run of having the door (sans glass pane) showed an error on my part. I really should have used a 2×4 instead of 1×4 as the header board. The bolts ended up hitting the new door trim so I had to shim it and originally bought some wood plinths but they didn’t work. I ended up using some scrap wood (painted to match the door) and then just shimming the top 2 bolts leaving the bottom open. 

Finally, it rolled smoothly and it was time to get the glass cleaned. It still isn’t 100% clean but it is now installed. 

Lessons learned – a) Use a 2×4 for the header. b) trim out the door first. c) take my time and don’t try to push it to be done in one day. It was tedious work but so worth it at the end. 

Barndoor Update

Slowly but surely…

The header board is up! Originally I was going to use wood screws to secure but the screws were crap. I anchored the board instead – using my favorite E-Z Ancors. Then I filled the holes in since they were counter sunk and repainted.

Tonight I also cleaned the hardware using warm water, salt and vinegar. They aren’t all brass as I thought but more copper. I also removed the paint on the mortise piece.

Once I figure out what size bit I’ll need (because 1/4” won’t be enough I think), I’ll be installing the box rail.

Door Hardware Bling

My door to the backyard is almost closer to being done. As you can see, I had a double cylinder before and now a single cylinder with a thumb turn. 🙂

Closet Door done!

One door complete!

Most of the interior doors will be this raised, 3 panel style eventually. It was painted with Benjamin Moore Advance (alkyd paint) Satin in Wrought Iron. The trim is Benjamin Moore Advance in Super White. 

The door hardware is from Emtek – Stuttgard with square rosettes. As I was installing them tonight, I kept thinking to myself how I should have just gotten round rosettes because lining the square so it was straight was not easy.

This was the closet door. I have the spare bath one half painted in the garage. 

I’m also planning to paint the other doors the Wrought Iron, even though I’ll be replacing them. At least they’ll all be uniform in color in the meantime. 

It looks like I’ll need 2 solid core slab doors for the 2 other bedrooms and one hollow core one for the linen closet. 

The other doors will be barn door style. 

That leaves a cool front door and the one to the garage. I think with the door to the garage, I’ll just paint it so it is no longer the gloss white with the smudges. 

Door and hardware ideas

I’ve been looking at doors and hardware again. The bad thing is I missed out on the Fed Tax credit on buying a new door. My current one is just your run of the mill 6 panel door. I want some more oomph so this is what I’ve picked for my wish list. Or something close to it. The pic is a Jeld-Wen door but there is a similar Masonite door that comes prepainted in brick red. (hmmm, something to think about) 

For hardware, originally I thought the egg shaped knobs would be cool and they are but not exactly the most practical. So, I’m tentatively got this on my wish list – Schlage Century with Latitude levers. It has a more modern look that will fit the rest of the interior.