It’s been a while since I worked on this door.
I brought it in sometime before flooring was to be done in hopes I got inspired to actually work on it. This was the weekend for it. I finally got the 2 header boards painted. I used 2 – 1×6, 6 foot boards versus a 2×6 board because it was just easier to secure.
This was the first board and it was anchored onto the wall.
The second board was painted the same color but I added the stencil pattern on it.
It was nearly impossible to match the wall since the actual stencil was tossed a while back. This was one I traced out. I figured it was okay that it didn’t match once I got the hardware up. Instead of the Dark Steel paint like the hardware in my office, I used the Brilliant Silver paint.
The door was also being worked on but I didn’t take pics of that ordeal. The moment arrived to get it up onto the rail and voilà!
Right now, the top octagon has a hematite metallic rub on it. I’m not quite sure of the results and I think I’m going to paint over that when I touch things up.
I haven’t removed the hinges since they were painted over. The old door is in the garage ready to be donated. 🙂
Office Door Project – Finale
This week has been a whirlwind for this project. As I got the header board installed, I realized, I *should* be adding the new trim now versus later. The original intent was to also replace the jamb with a smooth one but more on that in a bit.
I decided to go for a simple, non-mitered look and because the install to my new doors were messed up, I’m going to replace them all eventually. They gave me unprimed 1x3s which soaked up tons of paint and the edges were not rounded – it just didn’t feel right. I ended up finding some rounded, MDF 1x3s for the vertical pieces and rather trash the new stuff, I’m going to be using that for the top since it has a crisper, sharper edge.
So I painted them in Benjamin Moore’s Chantilly Lace (my new trim color since Super White was *too* bright).
The door jamb was hard to remove since I don’t have a reciprocating saw so I opted to fill it in and will smooth it out and paint once I’m ready to. As you can see, the old trim paint has yellowed a bit too.
Next, I reinstalled the original door hardware and while it isn’t my normal preference for stainless steel, I opted to keep it since this is an old door. It just would have felt wrong to replace it with something new.
The initial test run of having the door (sans glass pane) showed an error on my part. I really should have used a 2×4 instead of 1×4 as the header board. The bolts ended up hitting the new door trim so I had to shim it and originally bought some wood plinths but they didn’t work. I ended up using some scrap wood (painted to match the door) and then just shimming the top 2 bolts leaving the bottom open.
Finally, it rolled smoothly and it was time to get the glass cleaned. It still isn’t 100% clean but it is now installed.
Lessons learned – a) Use a 2×4 for the header. b) trim out the door first. c) take my time and don’t try to push it to be done in one day. It was tedious work but so worth it at the end.
Slowly but surely…
The header board is up! Originally I was going to use wood screws to secure but the screws were crap. I anchored the board instead – using my favorite E-Z Ancors. Then I filled the holes in since they were counter sunk and repainted.
Tonight I also cleaned the hardware using warm water, salt and vinegar. They aren’t all brass as I thought but more copper. I also removed the paint on the mortise piece.
Once I figure out what size bit I’ll need (because 1/4” won’t be enough I think), I’ll be installing the box rail.
Door is inside the house!
I’ll be painting the final coats inside. The wall is pretty much prepped now.
I’m mounting the header board today.
I got the first coat of Wrought Iron on the office door. I’ll do the other side tomorrow and then one more coat next weekend before it is installed! 🙂
Threw a coat of primer this afternoon and tomorrow I’ll prime the second side of the glass panel.
I’ll paint it Wrought Iron next weekend. 🙂
I still need to clean the brass hardware since I’m keeping them on.
Phase III door project
Still not done but I did sand the blue side today.
I also worked on the stained side and got rid of one, slurry like layer. A part of me wish the entire door was nice enough to just get a new coat of stain but oh well.
I have a 1x4x6 pine board that I’ll paint to match the current wall color and then I can probably start mounting the hardware soon.