Memorial Day Weekend Project

This year for my extended weekend, I added flooring to my master bedroom. I had taken out the carpet about a month ago so it was just a cement slab.

IMG_2817

I began Thursday morning and bought flooring glue. I decided to not use the Roberts brand like I did in the living and dining room, but instead, used a product from Bostik (at Lowes – single app). It was a little more expensive that the stuff I bought before and needed about 2 cans of it.

When I got home, I tore up the old baseboards and much of the door casing that would be in the way of the new floors. On the first day, I managed to get one can worth of glue down. It was well worth the money – it spread easier (I don’t know if it had to do with the warmer temps or not) and I don’t think I had any hollow spots like before. The only complaint was I had to skim out a good amount off the first can.

IMG_2818

 

The next morning (after having slept in the spare room) I was ready to tackle the rest but also dreading the possibility of buying yet another can if I ran out. (I wish they made smaller containers so there’s less waste). It was a little tedious but I managed to get it all done without running out of glue!

IMG_2824 IMG_2825

 

I was exhausted but felt very VERY accomplished. I calculated it and it was roughly 180 square feet. It felt really good that I managed to get it done in 2 days. I did cheat a little and set up my bed (just the boxspring and mattress) to avoid sleeping in the spare room that night. I figured by then, the floor was well on it’s way of curing.

I also unfurled the new area rug that night (as modeled by Puck).

IMG_2828

 

On Saturday, I added some baseboards—mostly for the area behind the bed because I really didn’t want to move that sucker once it was put back together. I caulked and touched up the paint on Sunday before moving the bed closer towards the wall. I also brought the nightstand from the spare bedroom into the master bedroom. (Yes, the bedroom door will eventually be replaced but that isn’t a top priority at the moment.)

IMG_2834 IMG_2838

 

Today I decided to change up the nightstand a little since it was going to be hard to find something similar. I decided to glam it up a bit with some spray paint and a little elbow grease.

IMG_2843 IMG_2846 IMG_2845

It was a good (and easy) rainy day project that didn’t take a whole lot of blood, sweat or tears. I’ll have to replace the current crystal lamp with another one since my current one has several chips in it but for now, it will sit on that table (once it is fully dried).

IMG_2852

I’ll have to go over the decorative edging with some metallic paint — probably something a little darker than the Brilliant Silver paint.

I also found a table that will sit on the other side – a $30 thrift shop find. It will be painted the same color with the option of adding glass onto the doors in the future.

IMG_2847

 

Big Flooring Project Started

I finally started on the project!

I began on Thanksgiving by dry fitting the first couple rows. Sounds simple enough – the first day was a mess. Using a chalkline was a joke – the glue would mix with the chalk and I ended up putting more glue past the line than intended.

I didn’t realize the glue was like taffy. I definitely got a real workout this weekend. :-/.

20131130-173747.jpg

The second day was a little better. I decided to use my laser level to draw out a line and then got a straight edge and sharpie to mark the line. That helped and I only got a little glue past the line. Another thing that kept me busy yesterday was finally installing the table saw. That thing is AWESOME – I’m glad I opted for this instead of a miter saw.

 

This little guy saved me by getting the access glue off –  and pretty quickly too. Otherwise, I would have just spent the day crying and scraping by hand.

photo

I got the floor from the dining room and the living room to join up too. YAY!

I wasted a little of the taffy glue when some of the top skinned over and dried. There is still about a third left but not sure how much of that will be usable when I do this again the coming weekend.

Trim is in the house and you can see the bottom pic for more detail. I’ll get the wall done during the week. I can move the cat tree back to the window too so the boys will have entertainment.

20131130-173839.jpg

 

 

 

 

20131130-174038.jpg

The trim was also painted and will go up this week. Just on the completed wall.

Finalized on Flooring

Flooring decided!

I’m going with a hickory engineered wood. In the first pic, Floyd was gracious to model the sample.

The second view was last night under the ceiling fan light.

The price isn’t bad either – very competitive with the discount flooring places. Thank you Castle Flooring!

At the earliest, I’ll place the order in July.

My goal is to get the living room complete by Christmas. 🙂

It is a cool color with some grey and red tones. I love the grain patterns and yes, this one is handscraped but it isn’t overly done like some of the stuff I saw.

I have also decided on the fireplace tile. Crossville tile’s Pennsylvania blue stone tile. It’s the third pic, top right. I just need to figure out the layout design. 🙂

I feel so productive today.