I went to a local fabric store and found my chair fabric.
The black is a velvety material and the rest feels and looks like a nice, tight weave.
It was also a spendy $47 a yard and I ordered 2 yards to be safe.
For the chairs, I originally, planned on a grey, faux suede material in a leopard print. I never got the sample swatch so I needed to look at other ideas.
Right now, I have 2 ideas – a vinyl fabric with a bird pattern (though I’m not really keen on vinyl here in Texas) or the heavy canvas with the abstract flower pattern.
For my bamboo Roman shades, I am planning to cover them with a plain fabric and then edge it with one of these –
I’m not quite sure which one would work the best. I am supposedly getting a sample of the darker fabric.
My storage cubes/ottomans are covered :).
To make them into ottomans, I used a 2 inch foam square that was attached to a piece of plywood cut to size.
I started on the lids Saturday and fixed the corners on Sunday so they were a little neater. As you can see, Floyd approved.
Then on Sunday night I used batting to cover one of the cubes. I had intended to keep the hand holes but during the upholstering process, it became a difficult task.
For some reason, on the first cube I did, I cut each piece so there were 4 separate sides. That was stupid and I ended up using far more staples than I should have.
So I was trying to figure out how to hide the cut ends today and realized I had some hemming tape. I made fabric “ribbons” (I don’t speak fabric) and then used more tape to adhere them on the seams.
Then I ran out of said tape and ran to the fabric store for more. At this point I wanted to be done working with canvas. Yeah that was a thick fabric to work with but it’s durable.
The second cube took less time and I used one piece for the sides. For the seam I just used one of those ribbon thingies to hide the staples.
They are now basically done. I do need to finish the edges with some sort of ribbon (actual ribbon) or something (maybe in coral?).
Then for the bottom, I want to get some of that black fabric that you see underneath furniture. Once I get floors done, I’ll put little felt pads under as well.
For the handles, I will use the fabric and stitch them on. I can do very basic stuff like that. 🙂
I’m not done still need to do the sides but here is a quick peek at my new ottomans.
Things I learned so far –
-Tufting isn’t going to work :(.
-I’m fabric challenged
-I’m also staple challenged too
I will be starting my popcorn project tomorrow.
At the same time I’m scraping that stuff off, I’ll be finishing up on spray painting the ceiling fan.
Also, since my Expedit units are detached from the wall, I’m going to be beginning the pipe shelving idea. I even have a list of plumbing supplies I’ll be buying tomorrow when I go to grab paint.
While I’m not starting it this weekend, I am still looking at fabric. I actually went to fabric stores today and looked/touched different materials. Sadly, I think all the cute stuff I had been drooling over won’t work. I need a canvas type material for durability and be Floyd and Puck resistant.
It wasn’t exactly what I was initially looking for…a coral & teal print, I love the design. It’s modern and retro at the same time. PLUS, the price isn’t right. Hopefully they’ll have enough for me to buy.
Okay, that’s all for now. I’ll be blogging the progress this weekend. 🙂
I think I’ve found my contenders.
No, the large photo in the middle doesn’t mean I’ll necessarily go with that one. I like the vinyl (records) design but I don’t at the same time.
While I love the atomic fabric on the bottom row, I think it IS too kitschy for 2 storage ottomans. I think if I found something truly from the 50-60s with that atomic design like a post card or a small print, I could put it on display.
Bottom row middle is probably the least favorite of the contenders. It has too many purples in the design.
Bottom left has birds which add to the whimsy of the fabric but it has funky flowers too all in a grayish background. I also like that there are lights and darks of the blues and oranges/corals.
That brings me to the top left. Again, there is the okay in colors like the bottom left but in a more sophisticated pattern. It looks more grown up but the colors keep it from being stuffy.
Top right is fun and is one of the top contenders. My only concern is the light background because I know the cats will take ownership of them.
There was one more I debated on whether it to add and that was the diamond-like pattern. Maybe it was the bad angle but I wasn’t quite feeling it even though I liked the geometric pattern.
I got some ideas from Etsy. I think the bird one (top row) might be too kitschy while the paisley one on the top row is too much of a deviation.
I spotted the atomic fabric (lower right) first but then saw all these. I have no doubt I’ll find something cool.
EDITED: I eliminated Avignon Vines (middle right), MM Fabric Doodle (top right) and Funky Paisley (top left) from the list.