Two Chairs Complete!

The fabric I ordered arrived on Friday – so much more beautiful than the swatch!

IMG_2427

 

I got started on one of my chairs that night – it also gave me the opportunity to test my pneumatic stapler. I wish I had gotten one a long time ago instead of my electric one – it was so much easier and relatively little effort. I had a little helper with me. IMG_2424

As I took off the black vinyl, I noticed a mustard (chartreuse?) color vinyl underneath.

IMG_2425 IMG_2426

I thought it was funny because the fabric I chose had a little chartreuse color in it.

There were a ton of staples to remove as well as upholstery tacks. I think that had to be the most time consuming.

I got it done though but was afraid to sit on it since the fabric was not Scotchguarded yet.

IMG_2429

 

The next chair I worked on was the tall, ladder back that didn’t have a seat cushion before. I didn’t want to leave it as is so I had done some research and came across this blog and followed the instructions – sort of. I didn’t want buy a 1/4 inch plywood since the smallest pieces were 24×48 inches. I decided to improvise and used the top sliding piece of the stereo console I bought last year (that I realized had too much damage to fix up and have since parted out the legs).

photo

 

The good thing about using a thicker board than 1/4″ was I was able to countersink the carriage bolts a little.

IMG_2431

 

So here are my 2 pretty chairs. I’ve got a few more to do. 🙂

 

IMG_2436

 

I did remove the old fabric from 2 seat bottoms today. One of them had brown vinyl that was just worn and cracked. The plywood was cracking too. The other used a fabric webbing that was just worn and gross. I cut out some MDF and wedged them into the space and then stapled it down.

IMG_2432

 

I still need to get some ‘L’ shaped brackets for underneath for further stability. I don’t want the seat bottom to fall out – that would be bad. Then I’ll be able to wrap them in the new fabric. 🙂

Advertisements

Two Chairs Done with Paint Phase

And two more chairs started.

The first 2 painted chairs got their second coat of paint today. I also did a first coat on 2 more chairs.

20140111-210928.jpg

I’ll need at least one more coat on them before they pass the paint phase.

I brought them inside the house after they dried. You can see the 2 chairs don’t have seats on them.

20140111-211131.jpg

The current seats are in the garage since I am going to rebuild them with plywood before the fabric phase.

On one of my chairs, I mixed some of my teal paint with my door color paint (Wrought Iron) to give an accent color – mimicking how it originally looked.

Before –

20140111-211458.jpg

After –

20140111-211613.jpg

 

A better look at the slight contrast.

 

 

 

20140111-211621.jpg

 

I’m hoping the last 2 chairs will enter paint phase next weekend. If not, I’ll be getting the plywood cut for new seats.