Velvet Ottoman




I started on the transformation of my accent chairs on Friday. I finally got my velvet (it’s called Spa) and had the time to work on the ottoman.

This was the before. The material was starting to show the wear and tear from Floyd and Puck’s claws.



I didn’t take any pictures of the during—it took forever to remove all the staples but once I got that part done, it was pretty easy to finish. I still had some issues with the corners but I think they turned out okay. This was the look from last night.



Today, I received my pewter colored nail heads—all 1000 of them. I chose the unpolished silver (pewter) over shiny silver (nickel) because I didn’t want the nail heads to overtake the color.

I chose the individual heads over the actual string kit because I wanted spacing in between.




It was tedious to say the least. The first two sides, I actually marked off the spacing but the final 2 and the corners, I eyed it. There was a HUGE waste factor (or at some point, I called it my ‘f’ up factor) and I was glad I got a huge order. Those nail heads were stubborn little suckers.



This was the completed look. I think the ottoman has less of a dome than it did before—which is fine by me. I am contemplating a nail head patter on the sides but that remains to be seen.


No More Wicker!


My storage cubes/ottomans are covered :).

To make them into ottomans, I used a 2 inch foam square that was attached to a piece of plywood cut to size.

I started on the lids Saturday and fixed the corners on Sunday so they were a little neater. As you can see, Floyd approved.

Then on Sunday night I used batting to cover one of the cubes. I had intended to keep the hand holes but during the upholstering process, it became a difficult task.

For some reason, on the first cube I did, I cut each piece so there were 4 separate sides. That was stupid and I ended up using far more staples than I should have.

So I was trying to figure out how to hide the cut ends today and realized I had some hemming tape. I made fabric “ribbons” (I don’t speak fabric) and then used more tape to adhere them on the seams.

Then I ran out of said tape and ran to the fabric store for more. At this point I wanted to be done working with canvas. Yeah that was a thick fabric to work with but it’s durable.

The second cube took less time and I used one piece for the sides. For the seam I just used one of those ribbon thingies to hide the staples.

They are now basically done. I do need to finish the edges with some sort of ribbon (actual ribbon) or something (maybe in coral?).

Then for the bottom, I want to get some of that black fabric that you see underneath furniture. Once I get floors done, I’ll put little felt pads under as well.

For the handles, I will use the fabric and stitch them on. I can do very basic stuff like that. 🙂

More Fabric Ideas

I think I’ve found my contenders.

No, the large photo in the middle doesn’t mean I’ll necessarily go with that one. I like the vinyl (records) design but I don’t at the same time.

While I love the atomic fabric on the bottom row, I think it IS too kitschy for 2 storage ottomans. I think if I found something truly from the 50-60s with that atomic design like a post card or a small print, I could put it on display.

Bottom row middle is probably the least favorite of the contenders. It has too many purples in the design.

Bottom left has birds which add to the whimsy of the fabric but it has funky flowers too all in a grayish background. I also like that there are lights and darks of the blues and oranges/corals.

That brings me to the top left. Again, there is the okay in colors like the bottom left but in a more sophisticated pattern. It looks more grown up but the colors keep it from being stuffy.

Top right is fun and is one of the top contenders. My only concern is the light background because I know the cats will take ownership of them.

There was one more I debated on whether it to add and that was the diamond-like pattern. Maybe it was the bad angle but I wasn’t quite feeling it even though I liked the geometric pattern.

Fabric Ideas for Ottomans

I got some ideas from Etsy. I think the bird one (top row) might be too kitschy while the paisley one on the top row is too much of a deviation.

I spotted the atomic fabric (lower right) first but then saw all these. I have no doubt I’ll find something cool.

Decisions, decisions

EDITED: I eliminated Avignon Vines (middle right), MM Fabric Doodle (top right) and Funky Paisley (top left) from the list.

Fabric Quest for Storage Ottoman

So the past day or so, I’ve been looking online at vintage fabrics/curtains/bedspreads etc that I could repurpose as an ottoman cover. 

I think I was too hung up on the fabric and trying to settle for what I could buy at a fabric store. 

I have ideas of what I want. I want something that has a retro vibe in either aqua or teal and coral. I love those colors together especially when it is in some cool retro/mod type fabric.

This one is a bit on the kitschy side but I like the saturation of color.

Eventually, once I get new couches, my intent is to have pillows made of coral fabric and whatever blue color I end up with – solids, vintage patterns, etc. 🙂 


Too much Wicker is Too Much


So I have 2 of these wicker storage containers that are really roomy but is too wickery.

I was looking at DIY ideas for ottomans and I think I will repurpose them by adding batting and some cool, retro inspired velvet fabric.

This way, I won’t have the need to hide them.

Best thing is I won’t need to sew because I suck at it :).

This actually should have been on this blog instead of my other one. DOH!