Catching Up – DIY Fails

I didn’t realize until this Thanksgiving weekend, that I haven’t updated in a while. Here are a couple items that had to be redone.

Last time I updated on this chair, it wasn’t complete. For months, I started at the incomplete chair, at all the wrinkles, and finally decided that I had to get it professionally done.

It cost a pretty penny but it was well worth it and Floyd definitely approved.


Another lesson learned, was using the wrong moulding. I thought using MDF type pieces would be best because they had nice, rounded corners. What I didn’t realize was on exterior doors, and how it can affect the integrity of the moulding. In my case, the door to the backyard had to be redone.

IMG_9111.JPG

I bought wood (real wood) a few months ago and just found the time to finally install them. Eventually all exterior doors will have this trim and then I’ll be slowly replacing the interior doors I had previously replaced.

Still needs caulk and then touchup paint but it should not expand like the previous pieces.

img_9133

 

Reupholstered Vintage Chair

Earlier this year, I bought this chair at a local vintage store. The intent was to eventually reupholster it to look like my other accent chair but maybe without the nail head trim.

I finally decided to tackle the project this past week. The first thing I did was sand down the old varnish from the legs and use use an oil finish. Some of the old stain remained giving it a reddish color. I also fixed any loose areas with clamps and glue.

photo 1

 

The next step was order a new cushion while I worked on the body of the chair. It took probably 8 hours to carefully remove the fabric so I could use them as patterns for later. I tried to save as much of the old stuffing as much as possible unless it was in bad condition.

photo 3

 

In addition to old fabric and stuffing, I found some money and an old Christmas label from 1987. I am almost certain this chair had been previously recovered since there were random nail tacks that I found. Then probably sometime during the 80s, it was refreshed with the cobalt blue velvet. The label is “Lineage” from the “Heritage Furniture Co.” I did a little search on that brand and it was sold off to Drexel around the 1950s so it is a possibility the chair was from that era.

photo

 

Putting the chair back together was painful, especially since my sewing is remedial at best. I took my time in getting things to fit and there were still a few booboos along the way. I used the heavy canvas fabric from the wicker cubes to line the bottom. I thought it would be fun to add a little bit of flair.

photo 5

I did change out the buttons for slightly bigger ones. The only problem was the center button ended up just slightly lower than the other two. 😦

photo 2 photo 4

It finally added the legs this morning. All that needs to be done is to create a new cushion cover.

photo 5

While it wasn’t my best work, I now have an appreciation for those who do this for a living. This was HARD WORK. There were several times when I just wanted to load the chair back into my car, along with the roll of fabric, and take it to a shop to get it done. Perhaps if the imperfections get TOO bad for me to see, I’ll do just that.