Reupholstered Vintage Chair

Earlier this year, I bought this chair at a local vintage store. The intent was to eventually reupholster it to look like my other accent chair but maybe without the nail head trim.

I finally decided to tackle the project this past week. The first thing I did was sand down the old varnish from the legs and use use an oil finish. Some of the old stain remained giving it a reddish color. I also fixed any loose areas with clamps and glue.

photo 1

 

The next step was order a new cushion while I worked on the body of the chair. It took probably 8 hours to carefully remove the fabric so I could use them as patterns for later. I tried to save as much of the old stuffing as much as possible unless it was in bad condition.

photo 3

 

In addition to old fabric and stuffing, I found some money and an old Christmas label from 1987. I am almost certain this chair had been previously recovered since there were random nail tacks that I found. Then probably sometime during the 80s, it was refreshed with the cobalt blue velvet. The label is “Lineage” from the “Heritage Furniture Co.” I did a little search on that brand and it was sold off to Drexel around the 1950s so it is a possibility the chair was from that era.

photo

 

Putting the chair back together was painful, especially since my sewing is remedial at best. I took my time in getting things to fit and there were still a few booboos along the way. I used the heavy canvas fabric from the wicker cubes to line the bottom. I thought it would be fun to add a little bit of flair.

photo 5

I did change out the buttons for slightly bigger ones. The only problem was the center button ended up just slightly lower than the other two. 😦

photo 2 photo 4

It finally added the legs this morning. All that needs to be done is to create a new cushion cover.

photo 5

While it wasn’t my best work, I now have an appreciation for those who do this for a living. This was HARD WORK. There were several times when I just wanted to load the chair back into my car, along with the roll of fabric, and take it to a shop to get it done. Perhaps if the imperfections get TOO bad for me to see, I’ll do just that.

 

Master Bath Door is Hung!

It’s been a while since I worked on this door.

IMG_2579

I brought it in sometime before flooring was to be done in hopes I got inspired to actually work on it. This was the weekend for it. I finally got the 2 header boards painted. I used 2 – 1×6, 6 foot boards versus a 2×6 board because it was just easier to secure.

This was the first board and it was anchored onto the wall.

IMG_2940

The second board was painted the same color but I added the stencil pattern on it.

IMG_2944

It was nearly impossible to match the wall since the actual stencil was tossed a while back. This was one I traced out. I figured it was okay that it didn’t match once I got the hardware up. Instead of the Dark Steel paint like the hardware in my office, I used the Brilliant Silver paint.

IMG_2945

The door was also being worked on but I didn’t take pics of that ordeal. The moment arrived to get it up onto the rail and voilà!

IMG_2946

Right now, the top octagon has a hematite metallic rub on it. I’m not quite sure of the results and I think I’m going to paint over that when I touch things up. 

IMG_2947

I haven’t removed the hinges since they were painted over. The old door is in the garage ready to be donated. 🙂

 

Mismatched Dining Room Chairs

Here is the before pic of the chairs before I go to work on them.

IMG_2293

 

I’ve spent a grand total of $145 for all 6 so far. 😛 (not counting my quart of paint)

The 2 orange chairs are probably the oldest and will require the most work. I know I can definitely save one but I’m gonna do my best to save both because they are just really cool.

The one with the black cover was the first one and then the three other chairs, I bought for $100 on Saturday.

My plan is to work on them two at a time so I don’t overwhelm myself and I can take the time to do any necessary repairs.

The color of the chairs will be a dark teal color called Venezuelan Sea by Benjamin Moore (semi gloss, Advanced).

IMG_2167

 

I am not sure of the chair cushion color but it won’t be vinyl. I’m thinking a microsuede fabric so I won’t get claw marks from the cats. 😉

 

Master Bath Door

Phase 1 of my Master Bath Door

The door is no longer two toned! Please excuse the splotchy look – paint’s still drying but it now has 1 coat of Benjamin Moore’s Rock Gray. It’ll probably take a couple more coats but I’m in no rush. I don’t even have the barndoor hardware yet. 🙂

I scored at the Habitat Store!

Doors!

Habitat Re-Store! Spent $25 for 2 doors – the yellow one and a plain slab door.

Phase III of Office Door

Phase III door project

Still not done but I did sand the blue side today.

I also worked on the stained side and got rid of one, slurry like layer. A part of me wish the entire door was nice enough to just get a new coat of stain but oh well.

I have a 1x4x6 pine board that I’ll paint to match the current wall color and then I can probably start mounting the hardware soon.