Revised Paint Job for Office

This is the third time I’ve revised my office since moving here three years ago. (third time’s a charm, right?)

I went from plain walls and popcorn ceiling –

To a turquoise and grey combo.

To the turquoise and lemon ice (in addition to the sliding barn door and chandelier).

20140714-205723-75443982.jpg (Old pic before I revamped the light fixture)

I totally fell in love with the Slate Teal color that was in my spare bath and was going to use it in the guest bedroom as well but decided it would work better in my office since that room got more light than the other.

IMG_3374

It took a little over 2 weekends to cover the turquoise with Slate Teal. I had run out of the paint about half way through and being it was such a deep, intense color, I used more paint than usual. I also stencilled a design over but it wasn’t the same pattern as before. I also decided to do something slightly different by using the same color paint but in Pearl finish (satin) to stencil over the matte.

IMG_3375IMG_3377

The pattern is Atlas by Royal Stencil.

IMG_3394 IMG_3398

 

 

Advertisements

My Newly Revamped Credenza (edited)

Other than the knobs, which are in the mail, the credenza is now complete.

Here’s a quick recap.

Before –

20131102-180205.jpg

I took apart the pieces and cleaned them before spray painting the metal frame with Krylon Chrome paint (I found it at a crafts store).  I thought I could use a spray lacquer but that turned out to be a waste a money so I stuck with Benjamin Moore’s White Heron in High Gloss.

I also drilled holes on the back for ventilation.

Then, once that was complete, I used my Benjamin Moore (leftover) Turquoise Powder paint and turned it into Chalk Paint.

20131112-203526.jpg

The formica top was peeling apart so I had decided, early on, to use some of my leftover zinc sheet from my fireplace project. The only thing I should have done was add more contact cement. There is an air gap right now but since it isn’t a serving table, I will live with the flub. I spent the week shaping the metal onto the table top with my trusty mallet. I hadn’t intended to use nails on the sides but I needed to secure the sheet down (thanks Pat!).

I was doing fine with my hammer until near the end and now have a nasty blood blister on my thumb. 😦 BUT, I got it done.

IMG_2098

The next morning was spent soldering. Never done it before and didn’t use enough flux a few times so the melted metal just fell off.

IMG_2102

After that was done, I sanded it out so most of the rough edges were gone and blended into the table.

For the doors, I cut down the double doors and originally wanted to use a .25″ lexan but busted it while using a circular saw (another lesson learned). I can still salvage a good chunk of it for a future project though. I ended up buying a piece of acrylic (plexiglass) that was cut to size. I originally wanted to use perforated sheet metal or even cut out the center of the doors (before they were cut down) but ended up finding a cool stencil and used the White Heron as the stencil paint. For the doors, I used satin Super White so there’s a tone on tone effect.

So here’s the after!

IMG_2108 IMG_2110

I didn’t get a good seal on the stencil for the acrylic and spent last night and today scraping the design back. I also added a little Looking Glass spray paint to give a silvery, mercury glass effect.

UPDATE – knobs are on!

20131118-173826.jpg

20131118-173839.jpg