A Do-Over on the Fireplace

A couple years ago, I redid my fireplace and everything seemed okay. Fast forward to most recently when I realized the faux beam was actually coming off the wall.

I had to do something before it caused an accident so I started to research on an entire surround piece and over the weekend, finally put it up.

First I had to take down the old piece. I did save the reclaimed wood to be used in future projects.

IMG_6332

Once it was up, I was going to leave it until the morning but the two toned thing was driving me crazy so I primed it. (Only, I didn’t use real primer, I used some ceiling paint since it was super-duper flat.)

The next morning I painted it a smoky navy color (Hale Navy by Benjamin Moore).

IMG_6358

Paint was still drying when I took this picture but it is done and looks pretty cool. I wanted the unexpected pop of color to make it less traditional.

Advertisements

Fireplace update

I hadn’t given up on the project. It has been tedious bending the pieces of metal to shape. Then afterwards, getting them to adhere to the cement facade was another story.

I don’t think I used contact cement properly the first time so it didn’t stick. I just put a layer on both sides and then tried to put them together. Didn’t work.

I didn’t realize I had to let the cement dry a bit so both sides will stick immediately.

That seemed to work a bit.

20130818-150625.jpg

I still had some loose areas so I used epoxy today and that seemed to work.

20130818-150737.jpg

I still need to shape the top piece and then add the last piece of metal.

Slowly but surely…