Reupholstered Vintage Chair

Earlier this year, I bought this chair at a local vintage store. The intent was to eventually reupholster it to look like my other accent chair but maybe without the nail head trim.

I finally decided to tackle the project this past week. The first thing I did was sand down the old varnish from the legs and use use an oil finish. Some of the old stain remained giving it a reddish color. I also fixed any loose areas with clamps and glue.

photo 1

 

The next step was order a new cushion while I worked on the body of the chair. It took probably 8 hours to carefully remove the fabric so I could use them as patterns for later. I tried to save as much of the old stuffing as much as possible unless it was in bad condition.

photo 3

 

In addition to old fabric and stuffing, I found some money and an old Christmas label from 1987. I am almost certain this chair had been previously recovered since there were random nail tacks that I found. Then probably sometime during the 80s, it was refreshed with the cobalt blue velvet. The label is “Lineage” from the “Heritage Furniture Co.” I did a little search on that brand and it was sold off to Drexel around the 1950s so it is a possibility the chair was from that era.

photo

 

Putting the chair back together was painful, especially since my sewing is remedial at best. I took my time in getting things to fit and there were still a few booboos along the way. I used the heavy canvas fabric from the wicker cubes to line the bottom. I thought it would be fun to add a little bit of flair.

photo 5

I did change out the buttons for slightly bigger ones. The only problem was the center button ended up just slightly lower than the other two. 😦

photo 2 photo 4

It finally added the legs this morning. All that needs to be done is to create a new cushion cover.

photo 5

While it wasn’t my best work, I now have an appreciation for those who do this for a living. This was HARD WORK. There were several times when I just wanted to load the chair back into my car, along with the roll of fabric, and take it to a shop to get it done. Perhaps if the imperfections get TOO bad for me to see, I’ll do just that.

 

Advertisements

One Accent Chair is Done

 

I really couldn’t leave the chair as-is after the ottoman so I decided today to take it apart.

There were so many staples to remove 😦

20140309-214741.jpg

 

 

 

 

Once I got the cover off, I noticed the chair was actually 2 pieces—the back and the bottom. The way the cover was attached, it looked like one solid unit. Rather than keep it the same, I turned it back to 2 separate pieces (it was much easier to reupholster too).

20140309-214750.jpg

 

I may add some more nail heads along the bottom edge but right now, here it is.

photo-3

It was a lot of work but it looks really nice. I also sewed the seam for the front edge of the seat. A very first for me!

 

 

Chair Fabric

It took a while to figure out the accent chair fabric. I originally thought of using micro suede and found some swatches before deciding to use velvet instead.

I got more swatches but nothing seemed right.

The blue was either too dark (like navy blue) or too light (almost grey). Or somewhere in between.

I felt like goldilocks and thought it was going to be near impossible to find the right shade – not too turquoise and not too teal.

I even looked into peacock blue.

Nothing seemed to work.

20140220-185929.jpg

Until today when I got a brand new swatch -Spa.

20140220-190013.jpg

It looks turquoise under certain light and a soft teal in others. And it’s velvet too! It’s the lone swatch on the left.

20140220-190111.jpg

The first piece I’ll tackle after I order the fabric will be the ottoman followed by the armless chair.

The other will be more of a challenge and will require sewing. (Which means I may need to bribe people 😋)

Either way it feels good knowing I was able to choose something.