Another Phase of my Office is Complete

I now have wood floors in my office!

I began the project on Thanksgiving Day and managed to get about 7 rows in before breaking for dinner.

IMG_3498IMG_3501

The next morning, I was on a roll and managed to complete over 2/3 of the room before I ran out of glue.

IMG_3504 IMG_3505

I was scraping off the bottom of the can but it wasn’t enough to finish the rest of the room. Being that it was Black Friday, I was not about to go and venture out just for a can of glue so I decided to wait until the week after to complete. I did bring my area rug out to see how it would turn out though.

IMG_3508

I also received a few more sunburst mirrors to add to the decor of the room. 🙂

IMG_3507 IMG_3506

 

Back to the glue – I debated for a while on whether or not to use the same Bostik glue as the rest of the room. It only comes in a 3.5 gallon container and is $160 at Lowes so I was hesitant at first. I was close to buying a different glue but remembered my glue fiasco in the living-dining room last year and opted for the same can (which will prompt me to add flooring to my master closet soon).

This past Friday, I finished and it took about 2 hours.

IMG_3516

After removing the tape and moving some items back (with Puck as my model).

IMG_3520

Given the look of the room, I’m once again debating the color of Lola. It would seem a bright color would be too much for the small room so I’m thinking of something understated. Stay tuned.

 

Advertisements

Memorial Day Weekend Project

This year for my extended weekend, I added flooring to my master bedroom. I had taken out the carpet about a month ago so it was just a cement slab.

IMG_2817

I began Thursday morning and bought flooring glue. I decided to not use the Roberts brand like I did in the living and dining room, but instead, used a product from Bostik (at Lowes – single app). It was a little more expensive that the stuff I bought before and needed about 2 cans of it.

When I got home, I tore up the old baseboards and much of the door casing that would be in the way of the new floors. On the first day, I managed to get one can worth of glue down. It was well worth the money – it spread easier (I don’t know if it had to do with the warmer temps or not) and I don’t think I had any hollow spots like before. The only complaint was I had to skim out a good amount off the first can.

IMG_2818

 

The next morning (after having slept in the spare room) I was ready to tackle the rest but also dreading the possibility of buying yet another can if I ran out. (I wish they made smaller containers so there’s less waste). It was a little tedious but I managed to get it all done without running out of glue!

IMG_2824 IMG_2825

 

I was exhausted but felt very VERY accomplished. I calculated it and it was roughly 180 square feet. It felt really good that I managed to get it done in 2 days. I did cheat a little and set up my bed (just the boxspring and mattress) to avoid sleeping in the spare room that night. I figured by then, the floor was well on it’s way of curing.

I also unfurled the new area rug that night (as modeled by Puck).

IMG_2828

 

On Saturday, I added some baseboards—mostly for the area behind the bed because I really didn’t want to move that sucker once it was put back together. I caulked and touched up the paint on Sunday before moving the bed closer towards the wall. I also brought the nightstand from the spare bedroom into the master bedroom. (Yes, the bedroom door will eventually be replaced but that isn’t a top priority at the moment.)

IMG_2834 IMG_2838

 

Today I decided to change up the nightstand a little since it was going to be hard to find something similar. I decided to glam it up a bit with some spray paint and a little elbow grease.

IMG_2843 IMG_2846 IMG_2845

It was a good (and easy) rainy day project that didn’t take a whole lot of blood, sweat or tears. I’ll have to replace the current crystal lamp with another one since my current one has several chips in it but for now, it will sit on that table (once it is fully dried).

IMG_2852

I’ll have to go over the decorative edging with some metallic paint — probably something a little darker than the Brilliant Silver paint.

I also found a table that will sit on the other side – a $30 thrift shop find. It will be painted the same color with the option of adding glass onto the doors in the future.

IMG_2847