Other than the knobs, which are in the mail, the credenza is now complete.
Here’s a quick recap.
I took apart the pieces and cleaned them before spray painting the metal frame with Krylon Chrome paint (I found it at a crafts store). I thought I could use a spray lacquer but that turned out to be a waste a money so I stuck with Benjamin Moore’s White Heron in High Gloss.
I also drilled holes on the back for ventilation.
Then, once that was complete, I used my Benjamin Moore (leftover) Turquoise Powder paint and turned it into Chalk Paint.
The formica top was peeling apart so I had decided, early on, to use some of my leftover zinc sheet from my fireplace project. The only thing I should have done was add more contact cement. There is an air gap right now but since it isn’t a serving table, I will live with the flub. I spent the week shaping the metal onto the table top with my trusty mallet. I hadn’t intended to use nails on the sides but I needed to secure the sheet down (thanks Pat!).
I was doing fine with my hammer until near the end and now have a nasty blood blister on my thumb. 😦 BUT, I got it done.
The next morning was spent soldering. Never done it before and didn’t use enough flux a few times so the melted metal just fell off.
After that was done, I sanded it out so most of the rough edges were gone and blended into the table.
For the doors, I cut down the double doors and originally wanted to use a .25″ lexan but busted it while using a circular saw (another lesson learned). I can still salvage a good chunk of it for a future project though. I ended up buying a piece of acrylic (plexiglass) that was cut to size. I originally wanted to use perforated sheet metal or even cut out the center of the doors (before they were cut down) but ended up finding a cool stencil and used the White Heron as the stencil paint. For the doors, I used satin Super White so there’s a tone on tone effect.
So here’s the after!
I didn’t get a good seal on the stencil for the acrylic and spent last night and today scraping the design back. I also added a little Looking Glass spray paint to give a silvery, mercury glass effect.
UPDATE – knobs are on!